Loud environments with a mixture of different sounds always present a challenge in terms of hearing. This is especially true in places where there are lots of people chatting, and where there is background music playing, such as in busy restaurants and bars. Spending time in such places can be extremely frustrating for people with (even limited) hearing loss, simply because they are unable to follow a conversation comfortably. The so-called cocktail party problem is a common early sign of hearing loss.
Many people in the early stages of hearing loss may assume that they are hearing just as well as others in such an environment. Therefore, it is important for you to pay attention to your hearing in a variety of settings. Some of the most common signs of hearing loss may include:
- Muffling of speech and other sounds.
- Difficulty understanding words, especially against background noise or in a crowd.
- Trouble hearing consonants.
- Frequently asking others to speak more slowly, clearly and loudly.
- Needing to turn up the volume of the television or radio.
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, we invite you to stop by Purchase Ear Technology for a hearing test. We are conveniently located at 2008 Broadway, Paducah, KY. You may also CLICK HERE to contact us!